Thursday, January 21, 2010

An Ode to Soup

I thoroughly enjoy eating. I probably enjoy eating a little more than I should. One of my favorite things to eat is soup. Soup is one of the greatest innovations in culinary history. It may just be my bias, but I feel that the invention of soup was a more important discovery than that of the sandwich. Soup can have anything in it and truly be anything. Fruit, vegetable or meat, hot or cold, black or white, soup has been embraced by cultures all over the globe. A nice savory soup can be enjoyed as with real New England clams, Louisiana gumbo, a Chinese bird's nest, and nothing goes better with your Italian wedding than Italian wedding soup. Perhaps most exciting of all, you can create the origins of life on Earth with a delectable batch of primordial soup. Similar too Liz Lemon's universal sandwich theory (This is a reference to the comedy series 30 Rock which airs Thursday nights on NBC. I recommend checking it out if haven't yet as it is quite funny.), the soup is one of the few things that brings the entire human race together and if any serious talks of world peace ever take place, I am almost certain that they will be serving soup on the lunch break.
Soup is great anytime. You can have it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Wait a second! Did I just say soup for breakfast?!?! Hear me out on this one. I know. I did a Google image search of "breakfast soup" before writing this. I am aware that the breakfast soup with the soggy French toast in it looks really nasty. If you think about it, though, the things people have for breakfast go well in soups. Eggs: Chinese egg drop soup is very good. It can work. Bacon: Everything tastes good with bacon. Certainly there are soups that have bacon in them. Now we're talking (Well, actually I'm talking. You're listening... I hope.). It could be like a soup-omelet, or a "somelet". The egg and soup liquid are essential but you can add any other toppings you so desire. Spice it up with garlic, onions and peppers, put some cheese in it, now we have a soup you can eat at breakfast that still had the spirit of breakfast but does not compromise the humanity that is the soup.
If you, the reader have any other suggestions or ideas to better the wonder which is the soup, feel free to comment. I would love to hear your ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment