Thursday, October 7, 2010

Arcade Fire Rocks in "The Suburbs"


Arcade Fire has been one of my favorite bands the last few years, and their latest release did not disappoint. "The Suburbs", the Montreal based band's first album since 2007, has a different feel than their earlier work, but maintains the high quality standard that I have come to expect from them.

Like their previous albums, "The Suburbs" uses a good mix of conventional rock instruments like drums, piano, and guitar as well as violins and horns. This album has a more upbeat feel to it than "Funeral" or "Neon Bible" did. Wikipedia tells me that the lyrical content was inspired by front man Win Butler's growing up in a suburb of Houston. It is not meant to glorify or condemn suburban life, but rather be a "letter from the suburbs." They have been working on this album since 2008, but the wait was well worth it.

Arcade Fire never ceases to amaze me. I am still waiting for them to get the nod to perform at the Super Bowl, which would be a huge improvement to last year's halftime show (But then again, anything would have been better than last year's halftime show. For more information, read my review of the Super Bowl from February). This album for them, is just business as usual. Every album is different, and every time I listen to a specific Arcade Fire album, I think that one is the best, then I will listen to another and think that one was better than the last. This album only adds to that legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment